I love potatoes and I love garlic. After watching a cooking episode where they made garlic mashed potatoes, I decided to try the recipe out as well. This is the more simplified version of that. Russet potatoes work best for mashed potatoes, but feel free to use what you like.
- 3lbs Potatoes
- 2 cups Milk/Heavy Cream* (Vegan substitute available)
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tsp Salt
Peel potatoes clean and cut them into same sized halves or quarters. Throw into large pot and cover with water. Add salt. Boil over medium-high heat and reduce heat to a rolling boil. Cook until you can poke the potatoes with a fork.
So I’ve prepared garlic mashed potatoes with garlic 4 different ways.
Garlic flavoring 4 ways:
1. Garlic salt is one of the easiest ways to get that garlic flavor. Just sprinkle in as much as you want to achieve the flavor.
2. Roasted garlic, you slice a whole garlic in half and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in the middle rack of the oven to bake on 300-350F for 20 minutes or until brown and juicy. Squeeze the roasted garlic and juices into the potatoes while it’s still hot. Feel free to strain the roasted garlic through a strainer to remove the stringy bits.
3. Boiled garlic, you peel a couple of cloves of garlic and throw it in directly with the potatoes to boil. Don’t remove it after the potatoes are done boiling! Leave it in there to mash.
4. Cream garlic, crush cloves of garlic and throw into a pan with some kind of dairy and cook till simmering. Pour into your potatoes and mash.
Whichever garlic style you pick, after it’s cooked and seasoned properly, you now have the option to throw it into a mixer to achieve a fluffy texture. I had to do 2 batches with my mixer and put it on Medium. You can also just simply use a potato masher to get mashed potatoes.
Vegan Cream Substitute
*This recipe makes 1 cup of vegan half & half or cream
¾ cup + 1 tbsp soy milk
3 tbsp melted Regular Vegan Butter or margarine
Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
If you don’t like garlic, you can omit it and still make delicious mashed potatoes with this recipe. Replace the garlic flavoring with salt and pepper instead.