When you hear the word green smoothie or see it, do you think “ew..”? Well, you’re not alone and most people think that. When they see green smoothie, they think it’s all vegetable and lacking in flavor. Green smoothies is a great way for you to boost energy. Don’t fear though, green smoothies aren’t completely 100% vegetable. Green smoothies are a great way to get large amounts of fruits and leafy greens into your diet. Let’s learn how to make it delicious!
What is in a green smoothie? It’s pretty simple, leafy greens + fruit + liquid base + sometimes a topping or natural sweetener. Leafy greens contain amino acids, important minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and beneficial phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are natural chemicals that support the immune system, reduce diseases, serve as antioxidants, and improve health.
So why do we love these green smoothies?
1. Energy booster and it’s all natural! It can help give you that little boost you may need in the morning and afternoon.
2. Natural weight loss. These smoothies can help aid with your weight loss and you can replace this for your regular breakfast.
3. Packed with antioxidants. With just the leafy greens alone, your body is getting a big boost of phytonutrients to keep you healthy. Green smoothies are a great way to boost your immune system.
Here is how to get started on a green smoothie.
The portions are 2 Cups Liquid Base + 2 Cups Leafy Greens + 3 Cups Ripe Fruit.
Pack 2 cups of leafy greens into a measuring cup and add to blender. Add 2 cups of your preferred liquid base and blend until smooth. Next, add 3 cups of fruit and blend again. Add ice in, blend and enjoy! If you don’t want ice, try freezing the fruits beforehand and that way you’ll get a nice chilled smoothie.
If you want it a little sweeter, simply add the preferred sweeteners to your fruits before blending. Try supercharging your smoothie by adding some Flaxseeds!
Some of you may not have a blender available to make a smoothie, so here are 3 ways to try to make a smoothie.
1. Add about 1 tablespoon of fruit and/or vegetable powder to the liquid base of your choice and whisk with a fork. Add more liquid until you get a fairly smooth smoothie.
2. Tired of whisking? Consider buying a Blender Shaker like this one:
You’ll do the exact same thing you did with the cup, except you’ll add all the ingredients into the shaker and shake until it’s smooth.
3. Mash the fruit and vegetable by hand with a masher. Preferably use soft ripe fruits like banana, berries. For the vegetables, boil them and mash until you get the right consistency. It’ll take a little longer, but it’s a method of getting around purchasing a blender.
Try making a Green Smoothie today!
Image credits: http://www.formulaoz.com/