Often feeling a little low on energy especially after lunch or a long day? It may hit you at any time of the day. When it does, some have the urge to grab that cup of coffee or energy drink. Research has shown that although that cup of Joe may give that quick jilt of energy, your body becomes more tired towards the night. A cup of coffee is essentially caffeine and therefore when the effects wear off, you’re more tired than when you had that cup. Energy drinks is another favorite drink to grab when you want to fight off that tiredness. Energy drinks usually contain high levels of caffeine and other additives, such as taurine, ginseng and carnitine that act as stimulants. Too much caffeine, however, can cause anxiety, headaches, nervousness and tremors.
Want to fight off fatigue naturally? Here are 10 simple ways to keep yourself energized.
1. Meal size
- Instead of having one big meal, try smaller portions and snacking throughout the day. This will actually help with losing weight as well!
2. Cut the junk
- It’s easier to go to a drive-thru for a Hamburger, but you’re not doing your body any good. Try to avoid fast food if possible. But it’s life, and it’s busy, so try healthier options like Subway, Chipotle.
3. Freshness goodness
- Unsurprisingly, vegetables and fruits are a natural energy booster with tons of nutrients. Add more fruits to your diet or make a nice salad with a light dressing.
4. Cut Joe out
- Try to avoid the temptations of caffeine. Joe can give you that jolt of energy, but your body will tire even more. Can’t fight Joe? Have a cup of black coffee instead, with no sugar or cream.
5. Meat to be Lean
- Red meat has more fat, therefore your body takes longer to digest it. Substitute it with chicken and fish. Eat fish with the maximum amount of the good Omega-3 fatty acid. 5 fishes that contain Omega-3 content: Salmon, Sardines, Anchovies, Mackerel, Pacific Halibut.
6. Whole grain
- Bread, pasta, rice, cereal is readily available in whole grain. Whole grain is great for your overall health with all of it’s benefits.
7. Crazy for nuts
- Fight that crunchy chip and try nuts instead. Nuts is a great way to fight fatigue and gain energy.
8. Stretch that chair
- It’s a bit crazy, but if you’re sitting for over 8 hours, try some exercises in that chair. Use your chair to move your body around. Here are a few examples on how to utilize your chair to relieve stress:
9. Beauty rest
- Getting enough sleep is essentially the answer to combating fatigue, but in this busy life we can’t always get our 8 hours. Try a 10 minute power nap during a break. After the nap, have a cup of black coffee to provide a bigger boost of energy. Avoid more then 30 minutes of nap time or you may fall victim to sleeplessness.
10. Water your body
- Last but not least, H2O. Your body is made up of 50-75% of it. Hydrate your body with water. Water is a natural way to boost energy. It helps distribute nutrients and other chemicals throughout the body and as well as the removal of waste products.
Foods That Beat Fatigue
Retrieved on February 12, 2014